I recently heard this boxing quote:
“The fight is won long before you step into the ring.”
The first fight:
Allow me to change it a little bit – the fight WAS won long before we were even born. What do I mean by this? Jesus died for us long before we were even born. He took our place, and not only that – He DEFEATED death! Jesus rose again and did what we would never have been able to accomplish ourselves – He restored our relationship with God, He made us to be in right standing with God again.
“Even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference; for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,” (NKJV)
“We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are. For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. Yet God, in his grace, freely makes us right in his sight. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins.” (NLT)
2 Corinthians 5:21 (NKJV)
“For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.”
This is our position in front of God. There is nothing we can do that can change what Jesus did for us on the cross.
The second fight:
When I tried to find out whose quote this is, I also found the quote below that is more or less the same, and yet different:
“The fight is won or lost far away from the witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road; long before I dance under those lights.”― Muhammad Ali
Looking at this quote, allow me to break it down –
- The fight (that’s not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, powers, the rulers of the darkness of this age, spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places – Ephesians 6:12) we face every day is won or lost
- far away from witnesses, behind the lines (But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. – Matthew 6:6)
- in the gym – the gym is a place you prepare yourself, your body, to get fit, build muscle and stamina. We need to go to ‘gym’ and prepare our hearts and minds, to build muscle and stamina for this spiritual warfare.
- and out there on the road – this our normal everyday life. We need to practice in the small things, in order to be ready in the tougher times. (So here’s what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. – Romans 12:1 MSG)
- long before I dance under those lights – we need to prepare ourselves now and every day.
A boxer or any athlete cannot sit around on the couch, doing nothing and then step in the ring or onto the field and expect to win. Lots of hard work, dedication, preparation, commitment and most importantly time goes into getting ready. This has to do with our daily walk – it is up to us how we decide to go about our daily walk in life.
Go to your inner room, spend time with God and pray. The first part of the fight is already won, let’s make our part (our daily walk) be a win for God’s Kingdom!
Feel free to leave a reply in the comment box below, I would love to hear from you. ♥